Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Parsley
- 5 lb
- large red skinned potatoes (each 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter)
- 1/2 c
- olive oil (plus additional)
- 8 large
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh parsley
How to Make Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Parsley
- 1Coat 13X9X2 inch glass baking dish lightly with olive oil. Cook whole potatoes in very large pot of boiling salted water just until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain.
- 2Arrange potatoes close together in prepared dish. Using fork, press each potato firmly in center to expose flesh, making indentation about 1 inch deep
- 3Whisk 1/2 cup oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend; drizzle over potatoes. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- 4Preheat oven to 400. Bake potatoes until crisp and brown on top, basting occasionally with oil mixture in dish and adding up to 3 tablespoons more oil if potatoes seem dry, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
- 5Great for a party: The potatoes can be boiled and smashed ahead of time, leaving only the baking to do once guests arrive.