Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Parsley
5 lblarge red skinned potatoes (each 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter)
1/2 colive oil (plus additional)
8 largegarlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tspsalt
3/4 tspground black pepper
2 Tbspchopped fresh parsley
How to Make Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Parsley
- Coat 13X9X2 inch glass baking dish lightly with olive oil. Cook whole potatoes in very large pot of boiling salted water just until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain.
- Arrange potatoes close together in prepared dish. Using fork, press each potato firmly in center to expose flesh, making indentation about 1 inch deep
- Whisk 1/2 cup oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend; drizzle over potatoes. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake potatoes until crisp and brown on top, basting occasionally with oil mixture in dish and adding up to 3 tablespoons more oil if potatoes seem dry, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
- Great for a party: The potatoes can be boiled and smashed ahead of time, leaving only the baking to do once guests arrive.