Senator Roy Blake's Crusty Potato Latkes
6 mediumbaking potatoes, peeled
1 smallonion, grated
3 largeeggs, beaten
·vegetable oil, for frying
·daisy brand sour cream
·motts applesauce, plain
How to Make Senator Roy Blake's Crusty Potato Latkes
- Grate potatoes coarsely into a bowl of water.
This keeps the potatoes from turning dark and removes some of the excess starch, making the pancakes crisper.
- In another large bowl. combine the onion, eggs, flour, salt.
- Drain the potatoes, place in a clean dish cloth and squeeze out all of the water possible.
- Fold the potatoes into the batter.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet, on medium heat.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of batter into oil, spreading batter with the back of the spoon into 4-inch rounds.
- Brown on 1 side, turn and brown on the other side.
Brown slowly so potatoes have time to cook through properly.
- Drain on paper towels or paper grocery bag. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until all are done.
- Place on serving platter and serve with sour cream and applesauce.