Senator Roy Blake's Crusty Potato Latkes
- 6 medium
- baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 small
- onion, grated
- 3 large
- eggs, beaten
- 3/4 c
- 2 tsp
- vegetable oil, for frying
- daisy brand sour cream
- motts applesauce, plain
How to Make Senator Roy Blake's Crusty Potato Latkes
- 1Grate potatoes coarsely into a bowl of water.
This keeps the potatoes from turning dark and removes some of the excess starch, making the pancakes crisper.
- 2In another large bowl. combine the onion, eggs, flour, salt.
- 3Drain the potatoes, place in a clean dish cloth and squeeze out all of the water possible.
- 4Fold the potatoes into the batter.
- 5Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet, on medium heat.
- 6Spoon heaping tablespoons of batter into oil, spreading batter with the back of the spoon into 4-inch rounds.
- 7Brown on 1 side, turn and brown on the other side.
Brown slowly so potatoes have time to cook through properly.
- 8Drain on paper towels or paper grocery bag. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until all are done.
- 9Place on serving platter and serve with sour cream and applesauce.