Mrs. Ballew's Sweet Potatoes
- 6-8 medium
- sweet potatoes (east texas if you can get them)
- 1 tsp
- crisco for greasing pan
- 1/4 - 1/2 c
- 1 1/2 c
- brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- 1 stick
How to Make Mrs. Ballew's Sweet Potatoes
- 1Rinse sweet potatoes, and then boil them whole.
- 2Sprinkle salt in pot while boiling. Refrigerate overnight.
- 3Next day, grease baking pan.
- 4Slice sweet potatoes about 1/2" in thickness. Lay in pan, single layer (over-lapping slightly).
- 5Pour about 1/4 - 1/2 cup water over potatoes. Sprinkle with approximately 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and then approximately 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar.
- 6Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste and then also a light coating of ginger (as if sprinkling salt).
- 7Cut 1 stick of butter into small pieces. Place the pieces on the potatoes, making sure that the butter is evenly spaced across all potatoes. Make sure that all potatoes will come into contact with the melting butter.
- 8Cook in 350 degree oven for about 2 hours. during the last 30 minutes, look at the water content. If there is standing water, turn the temperature up to 400 degrees to evaporate excess water.