Mom's Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
1/2 cchopped onion
1/2 cunsalted butter
1/2 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspsalt
1/4 tspground black pepper
5 cwhole milk
1thick slice ham (1 pound or so), chopped
5 lbrusset potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
How to Make Mom's Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To make sauce, cook onion in butter till tender but not brown. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk slowly. Cook and stir constantly till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes in a greased 2-quart casserole. Cover with half of the sauce; sprinkle half of the ham evenly over the potatoes and sauce. Repeat layers. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Uncover; bake about 45 minutes more or until potatoes are done and slightly browned on top. Check with a fork to see if they are tender. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
- Makes 8 to 12 servings.
- CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES: Prepare scalloped potatoes as above, except reduce salt to 1 teaspoon and stir in 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese into sauce after it is cooked, till melted.