Homemade Tater Tots
6 to 8 mediumsized potatoes
1 tspgarlic powder
1 tsponion powder
·chipotle chili powder
3 largeeggs beaten with half and half
1 Tbsphalf and half
·grated cheese of your chosing, pepper jack it really good!
·fresh finely chopped onions in place of the onion powder
·any spice you want to try
How to Make Homemade Tater Tots
- Peal potatoes and cook whole till they are under cooked. You want them to still be rather firm. Drain and cool.
- Once potatoes are cooled grate them with the larger size grater into a large bowl.
- Add spices and toss to mix. If adding grated cheese add it now and toss with potatoes, be careful not to use too much cheese, just a light amount works great. In a small bowl whip eggs and half and half together, then pour mixture into potato mixture and toss to combine.
- Scoop (1" works best) small balls of potato mixture onto a cookie try lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Lightly cover with plastic wrap and set tray in the freezer. They freeze up usually in about an hour.
- Cook tater tots either by baking in a 450 degree oven for about 8 minutes or preferably deep fry them. To deep fry you will need either a deep fryer or a pan that is large enough to hold at least 4" deep with oil. Peanut oil is the preferred oil for deep frying. But any good quality oil will work just fine. Heat oil to 350 and drop frozen tots into the oil. You want there to be space between them and only one layer, don't over fill your fryer, or the oil will cool down too much. Fry till they are a light golden brown, usually about 3 to 5 minutes. Now serve and enjoy!