Cheese Topped Mashed Potatoes with Green Chile
This dish is always a big hit. If I take it to a gathering there are never any left overs. If I make it for just the 2 of us then we can have them 3 nights in a row with left over chicken or pork with mole sauce. They also go well with baked pork chops with spicy Latin seasonings or even a BBQ'd steak.
Cook time includes boiling the potatoes.
- 5 lb
- russet potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed well, and then chopped into approximately 1" pieces.
- bay leaves, dried
- 1/2 c
- softened butter.
- 1 c
- heavy cream, add more if you prefer a creamier texture, do not use milk or half and half.
- 1-7 oz
- can chopped green chiles or more to taste.
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt, divided.
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly cracked pepper, or to taste.
- 1/2 to 1 tsp
- granulated garlic.
- 1/4 c
- sliced green onions, white and green parts.
- 2 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese or a combination of both.