The Waverly Inn's Macaroni and Cheese
Photo adapted from Restaurant Girl.
- 1 lb
- elbow macaroni or cavatappi, cooked and drained
- 5 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 6 Tbsp
- 1-1/2 tsp
- powdered mustard or dijon
- 5 c
- 8 oz
- monterrey jack cheese, shredded,(2 cups)
- 8 oz
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded,(2 cups)
- 1 tsp
- 1 c
- bread crumbs
- white truffle oil to taste (optional)
How to Make The Waverly Inn's Macaroni and Cheese
- 1Adjust rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler.
- 2In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming.
Add flour,and mustard and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and
deepens in color, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly (mixture must reach full boil to fully thicken).
Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 tsp. salt until cheeses are fully melted.
Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is heated through., about 6 minutes.
Top with bread crumbs.
Drizzle truffle oil to taste.(optional)
- 3Transfer mixture to broiler-safe 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
Broil until crumbs are golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes.