Copycat Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe and photo adapted from Top Secret Recipes.
- 3/4 c
- uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tsp
- 5 tsp
- 1 c
- skim milk
- 1/4 tsp
- plus 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 c
- shredded cheddar cheese, medium not mild or sharp
How to Make Copycat Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese
- 1Whisk the flour into the skim milk in a small saucepan, then place over medium low heat.
- 2Add the shredded Cheddar cheese, butter and salt and stir often with a spoon until the cheese begins to melt.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Use a whisk to stir the sauce every couple of minutes so that it becomes smooth and thick.
- 3When the sauce thickens, cook 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni in rapidly boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes, until tender and then drain. You will have 1 3/4 cup of cooked macaroni.
- 4After the cheese sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, pour the pasta into a medium bowl.
Gently stir in the cheese sauce, and then pour the mixture into a casserole dish.
Cover and freeze.
- 5Bake the frozen macaroni in a 350 degree oven for 50 to 53 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown slightly.