How to Make Smoked Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
To smoke tomatoes, put 2 cups hickory or mesquite chips in the bottom of a 4-inch deep heavy roasting pan.
- Cover the chips with water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and cover the chips with foil.
- Core 4 large tomatoes and score the tops and bottoms with an X, using a sharp knife.
- Place tomatoes on the foil, cover tightly with additional foil, and put in the oven for 10 minutes. (The foil will puff up like you're making Jiffy Popcorn.)
- Turn the oven down to 250 degrees and cook for 30 minutes longer, until the tomatoes are slightly browned.
- Allow the tomatoes to cool before peeling.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Makes 2 Cups.