Passover Onion Kugel
Photo adapted from Tastebook.
- 4 c
- coarsely chopped onions, fried until medum brown
- 4 c
- matzo farfel
- 1 c
- 1/4 inch diced celery
- 1-1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- chicken soup
- 4 Tbsp
- chicken fat or olive oil or peanut oil
- 8 c
- boiling water
How to Make Passover Onion Kugel
- 1Prepare the onions: after the onions have turned golden, add the celery and saute until the celery wilts, but is still a little crunchy.
- 2To prepare the batter: place the matzo farfel in a colander set in your sink. Very slowly, in a thin stream, stopping every few seconds, pour the boiling water over the farfel. The farfel should become limp, not sodden.
- 3In a very large bowl, beat the eggs with the salt, pepper, and the chicken soup.
Stir in the onion mixture, then the moistened farfel.
- 4Place 3 tbsp. chicken fat in an 8 inch square glass baking pan. Place in oven for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and pour in the farfel mixture.
Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp. chicken fat over the top.
- 5Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour, until well browned
Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
Reheats beautifully in a 350 degree oven.