4 ccoarsely chopped onions, fried until medum brown
4 cmatzo farfel
1 c1/4 inch diced celery
1/2 cchicken soup
4 Tbspchicken fat or olive oil or peanut oil
8 cboiling water
How to Make Passover Onion Kugel
- Prepare the onions: after the onions have turned golden, add the celery and saute until the celery wilts, but is still a little crunchy.
- To prepare the batter: place the matzo farfel in a colander set in your sink. Very slowly, in a thin stream, stopping every few seconds, pour the boiling water over the farfel. The farfel should become limp, not sodden.
- In a very large bowl, beat the eggs with the salt, pepper, and the chicken soup.
Stir in the onion mixture, then the moistened farfel.
- Place 3 tbsp. chicken fat in an 8 inch square glass baking pan. Place in oven for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and pour in the farfel mixture.
Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp. chicken fat over the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour, until well browned
Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
Reheats beautifully in a 350 degree oven.