☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1ham hock (about 1 pound)
1 mediumonion, diced
2garlic cloves, minced
6 cdried black beans, picked over and rinsed (about 1 pound)
·kosher salt, to taste
·freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make Black Beans In A Pressure Cooker
- In a 6-quart pressure cooker over medium-high heat, pour in 3 tablespoons oil.
- Add the ham hock and onions and cook until the onions are wilted and the ham hock is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Throw in the garlic and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the beans and give a good stir.
- Pour in the water; add the remaining tablespoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of salt, and a couple of grindings of pepper.
- Following the manufacturer's instructions, cover, lock the lid, and bring to high pressure. Lower heat to maintain pressure and start timing. Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Release the steam, again following the manufacturer's directions. If the beans are underdone, simmer them with the lid off until tender.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Pick meat from ham hock and add to beans; discard the bone.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cook's note:
The oil prevents the beans from foaming and clogging the steam vent of the pressure cooker.