Alcapurrias Crujientes- Crispy Puerto Rican Fritte
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 4 lb
- green, unripe plantains
- 2 lb
- yautia (taro root)
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 2 c
- chopped onion
- 1/2 c
- chopped bell pepper
- 1 lb
- ground pork
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 c
- pimento stuffed olives, chopped
- 4 Tbsp
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
FOR THE MASA
FOR THE PICADILLO
How to Make Alcapurrias Crujientes- Crispy Puerto Rican Fritte
- 1Using a food processor, grate the yautia and plantains using the shredding disk. Place in a large bowl.
- 2Add the olive oil and salt and stir to combine well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or overnight.
- 3To make the picadillo, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in an 8-inch skillet. Sauté the onion and bell pepper for 2 minutes, and then add the ground meat and garlic.
- 4Brown the meat until it is well cooked, about 10 minutes. Add the olives and capers and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- 5Heat the vegetable oil for frying to between 350F and 375F in a 10-inch skillet. Preheat the oven to the lowest setting to keep the fried fritters warm.
- 6Cut an 8-inch-by-10-inch piece of aluminum foil. Spray one side with vegetable spray.
- 7Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the refrigerated masa mixture onto the oiled surface of the foil.
- 8Using a spoon, flatten out the masa into a circle. Place 2 teaspoons of the picadillo mixture in the middle of the masa.
- 9Fold the foil over so that the masa makes a pocket shape encasing the picadillo.
- 10Shape the alcapurria outside the foil so that it is oval shaped. The foil should remove easily from the alcapurria.
- 11Place the alcapurria carefully in the hot oil, and fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until it is golden brown.
- 12Drain on paper towels, and keep warm in the oven until all of the alcapurrias are prepared.
Turning these alcapurrias while frying can be a bit of a challenge, so use two slotted spatulas for easy turning.