Watermelon and Seedless Cucumber Salad
3/4 cupapple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp.poppy seeds, plus extra for garnish
2-3green onions, cut into thin slices (*see note)
1 seedlesscucumber (3 cups) cut into chunks
4 cupsseedless watermelon (cut into 1" to 1-1/4" chunks)
How to Make Watermelon and Seedless Cucumber Salad
- In a bowl that would hold 8-cups of liquid, fruit, and vegetables, add the slices of green onion, and the chunks of cucumbers and watermelon.
- In another bowl mix together the sugar, cider vinegar, water, all the salt and pepper, plus the poppy seeds. Stir until the sugar looks like it has dissolved into the liquid.
- Pour the liquid mixture (the brine), over the fruit and vegetables.
- Cover the bowl, and place it in the refrigerator for 2 hours, to chill and marinate the watermelon, cucumbers, and onion.
- After 2 hours, remove the watermelon, cucumbers, and onion from the brine, and discard the brine.
- Return the watermelon, cucumbers, and onion to the bowl, and serve the salad immediately. (If desired, sprinkle the salad with a bit more of the poppy seeds just before serving.)
- *Note: In regards to the green onion: I first cut the onions to 3-1/4 inches in length, and then discarded the remaining green part of the onion. I then cut the onion into thin slices.