Tomato Grits Casserole
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 1/4
- cup whole milk,
- 1 tsp
- cup quick cook grits
- stick (`1/2 cup) plus 1 tbs butter
- cup thin slice scallions or green onions
- garlic minced or garlic powder to taste
- 2 1/2
- cups (10 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, or your choice
- can (10oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies.
How to Make Tomato Grits Casserole
- 1Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease a shallow 2 qt. baking dish. Bring 2 cups water and the milk to a boil in large saucepan.
- 2Add salt and then slowly add grits and return to boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Reduce heat, cover and cook 3 minutes. Add stick of butter, stir till melted; Cover & cook 3-5 minutes, until thick and creamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3Melt remaining 1 T. butter in skillet, add scallions and saute 1 minute, add to grits along with the garlic and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Stir till cheese melts.
- 4Add tomatoes, mix well. Pour into baking dish. Bake 40 minutes, sprinkling with rest of cheese last 5 minutes. Bake at 350-375 till bubbly and lightly browned and knife comes out clean.