1/2 cpepperidge farm cornbread stuffing
1no. 1 can tomatoes
1 Tbspbutter, melted
1 Tbspbacon drippings
1/4 tspseasoned salt
3/4 cgrated sharp cheddar cheese
1 csliced vidalia onions
1/4 tsporegano, dried
How to Make Tomato Casserole
- Spread bottom of pie plate with stuffing.
- In a skillet, mix tomatoes, butter, bacon drippings, salt and sugar. Heat until well blended.
- Put 1/2 tomato mixture on top of stuffing.
- Put 1/2 cheese on top of tomato.
- Place all onions on top of cheese.
- Layer remaining tomatoes, then remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with oregano. Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. This is an excellent Lenten main dish.
- Variation: Add one layer cooked ground beef.