Summer Squash Casserole
- 8 medium
- yellow squash
- 1 large
- saltine crackers (crumbled)
- 2/3 stick
- butter (room temperature)
- 1/3 c
- half and half
- 2 Tbsp
- sour cream
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 1/3 c
- grated cheddar or american cheese (divided)
- 12 oz
- pepperidge farm stuffing (or homemade bread crumbs)
- 3 slice
- bacon (fried and crumbled)
- 1 can(s)
- french fried onions
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Summer Squash Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash squash and cut into 2" pieces.
- 2Cook in boiling, salted water with sliced onion without covering with water. Boil for 5-8 minutes or until just fork tender. Drain well and PLACE ON BURNER FOR A FEW MINUTES TO EVAPORATE THE REMAINING WATER.
- 3Mash to desired consistency.
- 4Fold in crackers, butter, half & half, sour cream, sugar, 2/3 cup of cheese, and salt & pepper.
- 5Pour into a buttered 9" x 9" x 2" casserole dish.
- 6Add 2/3 cup of cheese as a layer on top of the squash mixture.
- 7Add layer of stuffing on top of the cheese. (A good substitute for the stuffing is bread crumbs from biscuits, buns, etc. that are crumbled and mixed with soft butter).
- 8Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until bubbling and beginning to brown.
- 9Remove from oven and layer bacon and french fried onions on top. Serve hot.