Summer Squash Casserole
8 mediumyellow squash
6saltine crackers (crumbled)
2/3 stickbutter (room temperature)
1/3 chalf and half
2 Tbspsour cream
1 1/3 cgrated cheddar or american cheese (divided)
12 ozpepperidge farm stuffing (or homemade bread crumbs)
3 slicebacon (fried and crumbled)
1 can(s)french fried onions
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Summer Squash Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash squash and cut into 2" pieces.
- Cook in boiling, salted water with sliced onion without covering with water. Boil for 5-8 minutes or until just fork tender. Drain well and PLACE ON BURNER FOR A FEW MINUTES TO EVAPORATE THE REMAINING WATER.
- Mash to desired consistency.
- Fold in crackers, butter, half & half, sour cream, sugar, 2/3 cup of cheese, and salt & pepper.
- Pour into a buttered 9" x 9" x 2" casserole dish.
- Add 2/3 cup of cheese as a layer on top of the squash mixture.
- Add layer of stuffing on top of the cheese. (A good substitute for the stuffing is bread crumbs from biscuits, buns, etc. that are crumbled and mixed with soft butter).
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until bubbling and beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and layer bacon and french fried onions on top. Serve hot.