Mom’s Green Bean Casserole
The dried onion rings can be any brand. I am having trouble finding the French’s now....so, next time I am in the U.S. I will have to bring a few back!
How to Make Mom’s Green Bean Casserole
- Steam the green beans until tender.
Drain and place in casserole dish.
(See note below)
- Mix cream of mushroom soup with about 3/4 cup of milk in a separate bowl, add 1/8 tsp. pepper. Mix well.
Pour over the beans in the casserole dish.
- Heat in a preheated 350ºF oven until it bubbles, about 20 minutes. (I usually mix it gently around 10 minutes, just so all the beans stay moist.)
- Sprinkle the dried onion rings evenly over the top, and heat another 5 minutes until the onions brown a little bit. (I keep a close eye on it at this time, because the onion rings will burn if left in too long. Make sure you time this step well.)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Note:. I usually buy a bit extra and steam more fresh beans. Once steamed it looks like less than I need to fill my dish. 1 pound should be plenty, but buy a bit more just to be safe. I estimate how many I can fit in my dish, once cooked.
(For the canned beans, it asked for a 14.5 oz. can. So, usually 1 pound of fresh should be fine.)
Once you have tried this recipe, you can adjust it. More sauce, beans or fried onions....