Little Lynn's Baked Beans
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 can(s)
- white beans, northern or cannellini, rinsed or 1 bag dry, rinsed several times
- 1 small
- sweet onion, diced, vidallia if available
- strips thick sliced bacon or 1/4-1/2 lb salt pork, cubed
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tsp
- dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp
- ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp
- liquid smoke
- you can used any type of beans you like, kidney beans, northern, canelli
How to Make Little Lynn's Baked Beans
- 1If using dry beans, in a large pot combine rinsed beans and 10-12 cups of water, bring to a boil, lower to simmer and cook for an hour.
- 2In a large skillet, on medium heat, cook bacon strips or cubed salt pork till tender and slightly browned. Do not crisp. It should be a little under done. Remove pork and set aside.
- 3In same skillet, draining most of the bacon grease, leaving about 2 tablespoons, add onions, molasses, ketchup, brown sugar and 2 cans of beans drained, 1 can with liquid. Stir on low heat until brown sugar has melted and all ingredients are well incorporated. Note: If using canned beans, drain 2 cans, using the liquid from one, if using cooked beans reserve 1/4-1/2 cup of bean water, adding beans and liquid to molasses mixture.
- 4Note: To make a thicker bean sauce, puree 1 can of beans or 1/4 of cooked beans with reserved liquid. Add to skillet, mix to combine.
- 5Pre-heat oven to 320 degrees. In a large roasting pan with lid, add bacon/salt pork, bean mixture and liquid smoke. Mix to incorporate all ingredients, cover and bake in oven for an hour and a half, stirring every 20 minutes or so to prevent sticking.