Jan's Summer Squash Caserole
As an avid gardner,I'm always looking for different ways to use the beautiful straight necked Summer squash I grow. I don't do a lot of fried cooking and the general run of squash casseroles are usually low in protein.
When my neighbor's hens started laying more eggs than they could use, she began giving me fresh eggs weekly.
After preparing and freezing squash till my eyes almost crossed I decided to throw together this casserole,just using what I had on hand.
Yummy,comfort food type side dish!
6-8fresh summer squash,sliced
2 cshredded cheddar cheese
1 mediumsweet onion,chopped
3/4 csour cream
1 1/4 cparmesan cheese/herb panko bread crumbs
·salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbsporganic salted butter,melted
How to Make Jan's Summer Squash Caserole
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees.
Wash and dry 6-8 fresh Summer squash.
Slice into 1/8 " rounds
- Spray casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray (I'm still using 30 yr old corning-ware)
Spread squash slices in bottom of dish
- Chop onion and layer it over squash.
- Beat eggs then mix mayonnaise and sour cream with eggs,adding salt and pepper
- Layer cheese over squash and onion
- Pour egg mixture over squash mixture
- Bake until eggs begin to firm up,then pour Panko over the top.
- Melt butter and pour over the top of Panko. Bake until topping turns golden brown.