Home Style Mac & Cheese
How to Make Home Style Mac & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 3 quart casserole dish with canola cooking spray or you can also use a little soft butter and butter the dish.
- Precook macaroni as per package directions. I heat water in a 4 quart pot and add when rapidly boiling and cook till fork tender usually about 7 to 10 minutes. Being careful not to over cook.
- Drain macaroni but DO NOT rinse it off. Shake strainer to remove excess water. Let cool for about 5 minutes. Then pour a layer (about 1/3 of the macaroni) into the baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of flower and 1/4 of the grated cheese.
- Repeat this 2 more times till all the macaroni is in the dish, leaving 1/4 of the cheese for the last step.
- In mixing bowl combine eggs and half and half, if you prefer to use whole milk that will work too. I mix with my hand mixer. Than add salt and pepper (pepper is optional) and mix in. Melt butter and mix into milk and egg mixture. Pour over the entire casserole dish. Liquid should be to the top of the dish but a layer macaroni should be above the mixture. If you need to add a little more milk that is fine.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for about 35 to 45 minutes, till a nice golden brown and casserole is set up. Let rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Left overs can be fried in a little butter to warm up or try your hand at deep frying your mac & cheese, but that's another recipe!