- 1 Tbsp
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 c
- grilled cheese sandwich bits (about 3 thick sandwiches)
- 1 lb
- penne pasta
- 1 lb
- thick sliced bacon,cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 c
- 1/3 c
- all purpose flour
- 4 c
- 1 tsp
- dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp
- seasoned pepper
- 3/4 c
- crumbled blue cheese
- 3 1/2 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese,divided
How to Make Grilled Cheese and Bacon Pasta Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish,and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese around the inside of the dish.Add grilled cheese sandwich bits,mix well.
- 2Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil.Once the water is boiling,stir in the penne,and return to a boil.Cook the penne uncovered,
stirring occasionally,until pasta has cooked through,but is still firm to the bite,about 11 minutes.Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
- 3Place the bacon pieces into a large,deep skillet,and cook medium-high heat,stirring occasionally,until evenly browned,about 10 minutes.Drain the bacon slices
on a paper towel-lined plate.Retain 1/4 cup of bacon drippings.Set the bacon pieces aside.
- 4Melt butter and bacon drippings together in a large saucepan over medium heat,about cook and stir in carrot,about 5 minutes.Whisk in the flour,stirring frequently,until the mixture forms a smooth paste.
Whisk in the milk,a little at a time,and bring the mixture to a simmer,whisking constantly until thickened.Stir in the basil and seasoned pepper,and then whisk in 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese and 3 cup cheddar cheese,stirring constantly until the cheeses has melted and the sauce is smooth and thick.
- 5Stir the cooked penne pasta into the cheese sauce,then lightly mix in the cooked bacon.Spread the mixture into
the prepared dish and sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese over the top.Cover the dish with foil.Bake in the preheated oven until the pasta is hot and bubbling,about 25 minutes.