Funeral Potatoes (Utah Potato Casserole)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 Tbspunsalted butter
1 cdiced onion (about 1 small onion)
2 clovegarlic, minced
30 ozpackage frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, lightly thawed
10 1/2 ozcan condensed cream of celery soup (or cream of chicken soup)
1 csour cream
1/4 cgrated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tspkosher salt
1/2 tspblack pepper
2 cshredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 ccrushed potato chips or crushed corn flake cereal
How to Make Funeral Potatoes (Utah Potato Casserole)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant and softened, an additional 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss together the cooked onions and garlic, hash brown potatoes, condensed soup, sour cream, Parmesan, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups Cheddar. Spread the mixture in a 9-by-13 inch casserole dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Top the casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and crushed potato chips (or cereal), then drizzle the melted butter over the top.
- Bake in the oven about 1 hour or until it bubbles around the sides.