Funeral Potatoes (Utah Potato Casserole)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1 c
- diced onion (about 1 small onion)
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 30 oz
- package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, lightly thawed
- 10 1/2 oz
- can condensed cream of celery soup (or cream of chicken soup)
- 1 c
- sour cream
- 1/4 c
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 c
- crushed potato chips or crushed corn flake cereal
How to Make Funeral Potatoes (Utah Potato Casserole)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant and softened, an additional 2 minutes.
- 3In a bowl, toss together the cooked onions and garlic, hash brown potatoes, condensed soup, sour cream, Parmesan, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups Cheddar. Spread the mixture in a 9-by-13 inch casserole dish.
- 4Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Top the casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and crushed potato chips (or cereal), then drizzle the melted butter over the top.
- 5Bake in the oven about 1 hour or until it bubbles around the sides.