Country Squash and Corn Casserole
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 cyellow squash or zucchini, sliced or diced
2 stickmelted butter, divided
1 mediumonion, chopped
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup
16 ozsour cream
1 can(s)(15 oz) whole-kernel corn, drained
1 pkg(6 oz) chicken or herb flavored stuffing mix
1 tspblack pepper
1 cshredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
How to Make Country Squash and Corn Casserole
- Cook squash and onions (in a sauce pan with a little water) until tender. Drain and season with 1 stick of butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix everything, except the dressing/stuffing mix and shredded cheese, in a large bowl.
- Put the stuffing/dressing mix into a separate bowl and add the other stick of melted butter. Stir well to combine.
- Add stuffing mixture into the squash/onion mixture. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture into a 9” x 13” baking dish (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 30 to 45 minutes.
- **This can be divided into 2 smaller baking dishes before cooking and one can be frozen.
Add 1 or 2 , roasted, peeled and diced Hatch green chili peppers to mixture for an extra ‘kick’. If you don't have fresh chilies, use a 4 oz can of diced chili peppers, hot or mild.
- COOK’S NOTES:
If using small, young squash, you can just slice them because they are tender. If using larger, older squash, I remove the seeds and dice them because they tend to be a little tougher.