Caramelized Onion Tart
Arugula salad that I will post as soon as I get this one posted. both recipes are from a restaurant in Boerne,TX called Peach Cafe. I have a few more recipes to post at some point then I will give you all a break from this ol Shirley girl!
- 1 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 c
- plus 2 tablespoons butter,chilled and cut into small bits
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/3 to 1/2 c
- ice water
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- sweet, yellow onions, thinly sliced (julienned)
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1/2 c
- grated swiss cheese
- 1/2 c
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp
- fresh thyme leaves
- of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp
- of white pepper
How to Make Caramelized Onion Tart
- 1For the Pie Crust:
Preheat oven to 425*F
- 2In food processor, place the flourand salt in bowl.Add chilled butterand shorteningand process for 3 seconds only. Add 1/3 cup of ice water and turn on machine for 3 seconds. When the dough has just begun to mass on the blade, the pastry is done.
- 3Turn pastry out onto a work surface and work it together quickly. If pastry seems too dry, sprinkle a few droplets of water over the dough. Form into 2 flat cakes, flour lightly. wrap in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- 4Roll out the dough to a round about 2 inches longer than the pan. Wrap the dough around a rolling pin and carefully unroll it over the pan, taking care not to stretch it. The dough will hang over the edge of the pan.
- 5Gently lift the edge of the dough and press it into the bottom. Roll the rolling pin over the top of the pan to cut off the excess dough. Using your forefinger and thumb, press the dough up the sides of the pan from the bottom to raise the level of the dough. Prick the base with a fork.
- 6Line the shell with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 15 minutes or until the rim starts to brown. Remove the parchment paper and beans, reduce oven tempature to 375* and bake for 5 minutes more or until the bottom appears dry.
Remove from oven and let cool.
- 7For Filling:
Preheat oven to 375*F
- 8Heat butter in a large saute pan. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes, until onions are golden brown.
- 9In a large bowl, whisk together cream,eggs, swiss cheese, Parmesan,thyme, nutmeg,salt and pepper. Stir in caramelized onions.
- 10Pour into the partially baked crust. Bake until filling is set.and top is nicely browned, between 30 to 45 minutes.
- 11Remove from oven, let set for a few minutes, then cut into 112 wedges. Serve warm accompanied by Arugula salad.