Broccoli Sausage Bake
I entered this dish into a local newspaper holiday competition many years ago and got an honorable mention!! :)
- 1 lb
- bulk pork sausage, browned and drained
- chopped red bell pepper or equal amount of pimento may be used
- 16 oz
- frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 small
- can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 c
- bread crumbs, fresh
- eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 2 Tbsp
- yellow mustard
How to Make Broccoli Sausage Bake
- 1Brown sausage and cook chopped red pepper together, drain. While browning sausage and peppers, place frozen broccoli in colander to let thaw and drain.. i sometimes run a little cool water over it to speed the thaw process. Drain and coarsely chop water chestnuts.
- 2In large bowl.. mix sausage, peppers, broccoli, water chestnuts, bread crumbs and eggs. Turn into well oiled 8x8 baking dish. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.. or until golden brown on top.
- 3Mix together mayo, sour cream and mustard. "Frost" the sausage-broccoli bake and place back into oven for about 10 more minutes to warm topping.
- 4I have used parsley flakes or dried onion rings to "dress up" the topping. But, this step is entirely optional.
- 5The "heat" in the sausage really spices up this dish. I personally like to use hot sausage but, mild is still pretty awesome!!