Artichoke Rice Salad with Shrimp
Note: Photo borrowed from the internet.
2family size pkgs. chicken flavor rice-a-roni
2(6-oz.) jars marinated artichoke hearts, chopped, reserve juice
1 cgreen olives
6-8green onions, chopped, white and green parts
1 + 2 tspcurry powder
·salt and pepper, to taste
1 lbsmall or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
How to Make Artichoke Rice Salad with Shrimp
- Brown the rice in about a tbsp. of olive oil, then add the amount of water called for on the pkgs. along with the seasoning pkts. ONLY (No butter or additional oil) and finish cooking as per pkg. instructions. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain the shrimp. Then toss them in about 2 tsp. curry powder and saute them in a pan barely coated in olive oil until they are about half cooked and then turned them and added a little water (just to cover bottom of pan) to finish cooking. Don't overcook! Set aside.
- For the dressing: Mix the mayo, artichoke juice, salt and pepper to taste, and the other tsp. of curry powder together. (I love curry, so I add more, probably twice this much, maybe even more! I sometimes also add 1-2 tbsps. of the olive juice to the dressing.)
- Add the green onions, artichoke hearts, green olives and shrimp to the rice and toss. (I often add additional artichokes and olives. I like a lot of goodies in mine.)
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and toss to coat. Don't over mix or rice will become very clumpy.
- I serve this warm or cold. It is wonderful either way. And, the leftovers are just as good or better the next day. Enjoy!