Susan's Spanish Rice
- 2 c
- basmati rice (or jasmine, if you want short grain brown, double the cooking time)
- 1 can(s)
- hunts or other tomato sauce,
- 1 small
- green chili of choice, you can use the sm. can of mild green ones
- 1 large
- spanish onion
- 6 clove
- fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large
- chopped green, red or yellow pepper, sea salt and white or black pepper to taste or adobo
- 1 tsp
- ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp
- spanish virolive oil
HALF CUP OF FAVORITE SALSA, OPTIONAL ADDITION
OTHER OPTIONS: 1 TUB TOFU, CUT IN RETANGLES,AND OR- 1 CAN PIGEON PEAS, DRAINED
How to Make Susan's Spanish Rice
- 1Use lg. dutch oven or cast iron pan with cover
measure 2T. olive oil and heat it up, then add basmati or other rice, stir a little to coat the rice with oil; saute for about 1 minute; then add cumin, salt and pepper, roast another minute or so.
Put 3 3/4 c. water to boil in a separate pot.
- 2In separate saute pan saute minced onion, garlic, and chili in 1 T. oil, add a chopped green or yellow pepper, until the onion is translucent and the pepper is soft.
- 3Add boiling water, can of tomato sauce, and sauteed veggies to the rice in the cast iron pot, stir and put the cover on. cook on medium heat for about 25 minutes or til done. Add extra water if the rice isn't soft enough as you like it. (you can add water but harder to take it out).
- 4At the end, if want GENTLY STIR IN WITH LG.FORK drained Pigeon Peas, a nice addition. NOTE: This can be a vegetarian main dish if you add baked tofu retangles (with teriyaki sauce & olive oil, bake for 20 minutes while the rice is cooking) to it. Put in a nice service dish, garnish with olives and pimento if you like.