Spanish Yellow Rice (Arroz Amarillo)
4 cupslow-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tspsaffron threads, loosely packed
1 Tbspolive oil
1/2 smallspanish onion (or yellow onion), finely chopped
2 cupsuncooked basmati rice
·salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Spanish Yellow Rice (Arroz Amarillo)
- Stir saffron and turmeric into the chicken broth, and set it aside while you prepare the onion.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-duty saucepan over medium. Add onion and sauté until the onion pieces are soft and just start to brown around the edges.
- Add the rice, and stir to coat evenly with the oil. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Add the chicken broth, and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it reaches a brisk boil, turn heat to low, cover pan and let the rice simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn off heat and let the rice steam for 10 minutes, but do not remove the lid.
- After the rice has steamed for 10 minutes, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.