SPANISH RICE MADE EASY (SALLYE)
It ain't rocket science, but it surely does taste good. Try it, I think you'll like it.
3 Tbspcooking oil
1 smallgreen bell pepper
1 smallsweet onion
1-1/2 clong grain rice, uncooked
1 tspblack pepper
1 tspsea salt
1/2 tspground cumin
1/2 tspchili powder
1 can(s)hatch or rotel original diced tomatoes and green chiles (10 oz)
1 chunts tomato sauce (8 oz)
2-1/2 cchicken broth
How to Make SPANISH RICE MADE EASY (SALLYE)
Peel and quarter onion and place in food processor
Cut bell pepper into quarters, remove the core, the seeds and membranes; place in food processor
Peel garlic clove and place in food processor
Pulse about 7 times until items are coarsely chopped
- Place oil in heavy skillet that has an airtight lid over medium high heat until oil is shimmering.
I use my cast iron skillet.
- Add rice, chopped pepper, onion and garlic to hot oil and cook until rice is slightly browned (about 5 minutes).
Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Stir in all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Once liquid is boiling, turn heat to low until liquid is just simmering.
Cover and cook until all liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes).
Do not remove lid or stir during cooking time.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes (still covered).
When ready to serve, fluff up with fork.
- That's it, folks.