3sheets of dried/roasted seaweed (one sheet makes aprox. 10-12 pieces)
1 Tbsprice vinegar (gourmet flavored has sugar & salt & ready to use); for regular rice vinegar, mix 1/4 c. vinegar to 1 tsp. salt & 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
8-9jumbo shrimps, peeled & deveined; 9 pcs for medium shrimp
1 csushi or jasmine rice (for jasmine add 1/2 cup extra water)
3 slicejapanese yellow radish pickle; cut into 1/4 inch strips;
3 sprig(s)green onion, green part only - optional
1avocado (cut into 1/2 inch thick, lengthwise) - optional
3 sprig(s)asparagus (steamed for 8 min., firm but tender) - optional
3 slicecucumber (remove seeds & cut 1/2 inch thick lengthwise) - optional
1/4 bunchspinach (sautéed with 1 clove minced garlic & olive oil for 5-8 min.) - optional
1 craw sesame seeds for dipping-roast into non-stick skillet for about 5 min. until lightly brown; allow to cool & store leftovers in airtight jar - enjoy the taste of the toasty, nutty sesame flavor compared to roasted sesame seeds sold in markets.
slicepickled sliced ginger
·wasabi & lite soy sauce for dipping
How to Make Shrimp Sushi
- Cook one cup of rice w/ 1 1/2 cup cold water. Set time for 45 min. to fully cook rice.
- Mix shrimp w/ cayenne pepper. Pour oil in skillet & light brown garlic; add shrimp & cook for 3 min. in medium heat; allow to cool & set aside.
- Place 1 cup of warm rice into small glass bowl; pour 1 tbsp. of vinegar mixture & mix well; set aside.
- Place a sheet of seaweed on a cutting board; pour cup of rice & using the back of the spoon, spread rice evenly leaving 1 inch of space on one side of the seaweed. TIP: Use a butter knife to keep rice out of the spoon or dip spoon in cold water to keep the rice loose & easy to spread on seaweed.
- On the empty side of the seaweed, line the seaweed with one slice of cucumber, one green onion, one slice yellow radish pickle, 2-3 shrimps (score the shrimp slightly from the inside to stretch it lengthwise), about 3-4 spinach leaves or 3 slices of avocado or any of the above ingredients of your choice. For this picture, I used cucumber, green onion, radish pickle, spinach & shrimp - maximum five ingredients is good.
- Slowly roll the sushi from the filling edge towards the rice pressing down gently to leave out air pockets; keep the edge of the sushi at the bottom to keep it close.
- Slice sushi roll into 1/2 inch thick. Repeat steps 3 thru 6 to make 2 more sushi rolls.
- Dip one side of each slice into roasted sesame seeds right before you eat & enjoy the nutty, toasty sesame flavor; or dip in Wasabi sauce diluted in soy sauce. TIP: To avoid a shooting nose/head pain after eating a blob of wasabi, first mix the wasabi w/ a teaspoon of soy sauce & mix well until the wasabi dissolves into the soy sauce; add more soy sauce to dilute/make less spicy; top with a pickled ginger & enjoy!