Rice & Mozzarella Croquettes
The recipe came from my friend's Mom, who came across it in one of her cookbooks originally.
These scrumptious crisp and cheesy rice appetizers are made often for special occasions and holiday gatherings when I want "something different" to add to the table.
These take a bit of time to make, but you will be rewarded with a deliciously different twist on the ever popular mottzarella stick!
5-6 cchicken stock
1/4 colive oil, extra virgin plus more for frying
1/4 cfinely chopped yellow onion
2 carborio rice
3/4 cdry white wine at room temperature
2 Tbspbutter, unsalted
·salt & pepper
1/4 ~1/2 cgrated parmesan cheese
6~8 ozfresh mozzarella cheese cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 call purpose flour
1 cbread crumbs ( dried)
How to Make Rice & Mozzarella Croquettes
- Bring stock (about 5 1/2 cups) to a simmer in saucepan. Keep warm over very low heat. In a heavy fry pan heat the olive oil (1/4 C) over medium heat, add the onion and saute about 3-4 minutes, add the rice and coat rice well with the oil in pan, saute rice about 3-4 minutes. Add the wine and stir until rice absorbs all the wine.
- Add the warm stock to the "wine-rice" a little at a time, stiring it in well but gently after each addition. Wait until rice absorbs the stock before adding in next addition of stock.
Once rice is tender, (but still somewhat firm)after cooking for about 20-25 minutes ...remove from heat, add in the butter and 1/4 cup of reserved stock... and then season with salt and pepper. Spread the creamy rice mix out on a cookie sheet to cool. Once cool, scrape the rice into a bowl, add 2 of the eggs to the rice mix and blend in the parmesan cheese.
- Place about a 1/4 cup of rice in palm of hand, pack like a meatball and flatten slightly into an oval shape making an a indentation to place 2-3 pieces of the cubed mozzarella into. Take another spoon of rice and be sure that the rice is packed all around the cheese, this time packing the "rice meatball" tightly and forming into an oval cylinder shape. Set aside and continue making oval cylinders with the remainder of the rice and mozzarella.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the remaining 2 eggs, place flour and breadcrumbs into 2 seperate shallow bowls or pie plates. Coat each rice oval with the flour, then the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs in that order. Set aside.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy pan to 350-375 degrees....you must be careful not to let oil go below 350 degrees OR above 400 degrees!!!!
Use a deep fry thermometer to keep an eye on the oil temp. Fry rice ovals a few at a time until golden brown 3-5 minutes. Transfere fried ovals to paper towels to drain, then keep warm in 200 degree oven while finishing frying up the remainder of the croquettes. Serve immediately as is.... or with a side of sweet and sour or warm marinara dipping sauce!! YUM!!!