Rice and Barley w/Gingered Adzuki Beans
- 1/3 c
- short grain brown rice
- 1/3 c
- hulled barley
- 1-2 Tbsp
- ginger, freshly grated (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp
- toasted sesame oil
- 15 oz
- cooked adzuki beans (or canned but rinse and drain well)
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- umeboshi vinegar
- soy sauce
- 2-4 Tbsp
- green onion, sliced
- watercress, daikon sprouts or cilantro (my addition)
How to Make Rice and Barley w/Gingered Adzuki Beans
- 1Combine rice, barley and 3 cups water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, and add 1/4 tsp. salt. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes, or until water reaches level of grains. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 5 minutes more, or until grains are dry. (Do not disturb steam holes that have formed.) Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat ginger and sesame oil in medium skillet over medium heat until ginger begins to sizzle, about 3 minutes. Add beans, mirin, *umeboshi vinegar and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 3 minutes, or until liquid evaporates.
- 3*Note: if you do not have umeboshi vinegar (plum vinegar) I have read online that you can substitute red wine vinegar mixed with some soy sauce and perhaps a pinch of sugar. Or, if you have a fruity vinegar such as raspberry that will work fine!
- 4Stir beans into cooked rice and barley. Taste, and add some soy sauce if desired. Serve with garnishes.