Puerto Rican rice (arroz con gandules)
(You can make sofrito ahead of time and freeze,to have on hand)
if you want to add ham, chicken or pork, dice some up and add it to the pan with the sofrito. You can change out the gandules for red beans or garbanzos, make it your own :]
- 4 c
- 5 1/2 c
- 1 -8oz can(s)
- tomatoe sauce
- 1 -15oz can(s)
- gandules (pigeon peas)
- 4 - 5 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- adobo powder
- 1 pkg
- sazon seasoning
- olives with pimiento
- salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp
How to Make Puerto Rican rice (arroz con gandules)
- 1heat pan,on med high flame, then add oil, heat oil, then add sofrito,and olives and cook for a few minutes.
- 2add tomatoe sauce cook 2 minute , add sazon, adobo, cook until sauce begins to thicken a little.(it gets a little thicker and kinda bubbly) I don't know how else to explain it.
- 3add rice and stir to coat rice with sauce, continue cooking and turning rice,( until rice grains start to turn white) then add water and gandules.
- 4stir once and leave it alone, continue to cook , when it comes to a boil, add salt, stir once, cover and turn down flame to low. DO NOT LIFT COVER !!! Leave to cook for about 25 minutes.
- 5lift cover and turn rice , serve.