Pigeon Peas with Yellow Rice
Daily Inspiration S
Recipe is from Gourmet Magazine.
- cubanelle pepper, seeded and chopped
- 5 small
- fresh sweet peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- chopped garlic gloves
- 1 1/4 c
- chopped cilantro, coarsely chopped
- roma tomato, chopped
- 1/4 lb
- diced ham
- 1/4 c
- annatto oil
- 1/3 c
- pimento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- capers, drained
- 2 c
- long grain white rice
- 15 oz
- pigeon peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 c
FOR THE RICE:
How to Make Pigeon Peas with Yellow Rice
- 1Purée first six sofrito ingredients in a food processor.
- 2Cook ham in annatto oil in pot over medium-high heat (be sure that ham is dry before adding it to the oil), stirring occasionally, until starting to crisp up, approximately 4 minutes.
- 3Add sofrito ingredients, olives and capers and cook, stirring, until liquid has evaporated - about 5 minutes.
- 4Add rice and cook, stirring, until it sizzles - approximately 2 minutes.
- 5Stir in the peas, water and 1 1/4 tsp. salt - bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered over medium-high heat until almost all of the liquid is absorbed - approximately 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium when water falls below the level of rice. Gently stir from bottom to top, then smooth the top of the rice.
- 6Cut a parchment paper large enough to cover the rice. Place parchment directly over rice and cover pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- 7Reduce heat to low and cook, undisturbed, for 30 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat, then discard parchment paper and gently fluff rice with a fork.