Be sure to pre-rinse the rice per directions and you will be rewarded with a very moist, extra flavorfull, very fluffy delicious rice!!
1 can(s)(14 -15 oz) tomatoes (diced)
1onion (medium) (white) chopped fine
3jalapenos- seeds removed- chopped
4garlic cloves, minced
1green pepper, chopped fine
2 clong grain white rice
1/3 ccanola oil
2 cchicken stock or broth
·salt and pepper
1 1/2 cblack beans, canned - rinsed
1/2 ccilantro, fresh- washed and minced
How to Make Mexican Rice
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
Chop onion, jalepenos (can use jarred jalepenoas for convienience) green pepper, garlic and cilantro.
- Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water for 2 minutes....if you omit this step your rice will not be dry and fluffy...do the rinse, you will be glad you did! Tap off as much water out of the rice as you can.
- Using a good size dutch oven or large oven proof pot ( if concerned about the handles of your pot melting in the oven , wrap them in heavy duty foil and you should be able to get away with it unless they are made of plastic.
- Heat the canola oil in the dutch oven over med high heat for 2 minutes. Drop a few grains of the washed rice into the heated oil...if it sizzles, its ready!
If not give it another minute and try again. Fry the rice for 6-8 minutes until a light golden color.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onions and peppers, saute for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, can of tomatoes, and salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
Cover pan and transfere to oven to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender 30 -35 mintes ( stiring well after 15 min of baking)
Remove from oven after 30- 35 min and stir in the black beans and cilantro.
I like to serve this rice with grilled chicken or grilled chicken sausages in the summer...MmmmmMmmmm!