Jamaican Rice and Peas
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 can(s)
- coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 can(s)
- green pigeon peas (look in the goya brand section)
- 2 stalk(s)
- green onions (washed, ends and roots trimmed off and cut in half)
- 2 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme
- pimento seeds (also known as alspice)
- 1-2 tsp
- chopped garlic
- 2 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- scotch bonnet pepper (no substitutions)
- cold water
How to Make Jamaican Rice and Peas
- 1In a 6 quart pot, add enough cold water to can of coconut milk plus liquid from the can of pigeon peas to make 3 1/2 cups liquid.
- 2Add pigeon peas, green onions, fresh thyme and pimento seeds. Stir and bring to a boil on med-high then simmer on medium for 10 minutes.
- 3Wash rice until water runs clear (3-4 rinses.) Set aside.
(Washing rice cleans it of talc used in shipping and/or loose starch and helps keep rice from sticking.)
- 4Once liquid has simmered 10 minutes, stir in rice then place WHOLE scotch bonnet pepper on top. DO NOT STIR IN.
Cover and cook 15 minutes or until almost all liquid is gone.
- 5Let rice sit, covered for 1-2 minutes after pulling from heat.
- 6To serve, remove whole scotch bonnet pepper and disregard. Pull green onions, pimento seeds and thyme sprigs out of the rice mixture and discard.
Fluff with fork to bring up beans from bottom.
- 7Delicious alone or as a side with dishes like Caribbean-Spiced Roast Beef.