1/2 lbblack-eyed peas
·water to cover
1/4 conion, chopped
1garlic clove, minced
1/2 ccooked ham, chopped
1 dash(es)cayenne pepper
1/2 tsprosemary ground
How to Make Hoppin' John
- Wash peas; add five cups boiling water.
- Parboil three minutes. Remove from heat, cover and soak four hours.
- Drain and rinse peas.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender.
- Add soaked peas, ham, 1 1/2 cups water and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans and rice are tender (approximately 25 to 30 minutes). Remove bay leaf before serving.