One of the most important steps is cleaning the Chicken Gizzards, and not adding to much Rice. If the Gizzards are not cleaned good, you will have hard chewy pieces in the meat. Too much rice will not yield the wonder blend of flavors.
How to Make Dirty Rice
- 1Boil Chicken Gizzards in water until no longer pink. Sit aside in water and allow to cool down. This will keep them from drying out.
- 2Brown ground beef with chopped onion and bell pepper. Drain off grease.
- 3Clean Chicken Gizzards by removing hard grisle membrane. With a sharp knife, cut the rounded mounds of meat free from the membrane along the bottom, and from each side. You will not have 4 pounds of meat when the cleaning process is complete. Place pieces in chopper and chop into small pieces.
- 4Add chopped Chicken Gizzard meat, celery flakes, and minced garlic to ground beef. Cover meat mixture with Chicken broth, bring to a boil add garlic salt, reduce heat. Cover with lid, allow broth to absorb, and flavors to blend.
- 5Cook on very low heat for about 45 minutes or until almost all of broth is absorbed. Remove from heat sit aside.
- 6Cook Rice and water, bring to boil. Boil for 5 minutes, reduce heat to simmer cook for 20 minutes.
- 7Add 1/3 of cooked rice, to meat mixture at a time, stirring after each rice portion is added. Before adding the last 1/3 of rice, check for taste and consistency. The Dirty Rice mixture should not be too White. If needed add small amounts of the remaining rice, continuing to check taste, you may have some unused cooked rice left over.