2 cvegetable broth or chicken broth
2fresh bay leaves
2fresh oregano sprigs
2 Tbspolive oil
2 mediumshallots, peeled and finely minced
1 cbrown texmati rice (read recipe intro)
1 1/4 tspcumin seeds
1 mediumcarrot, sliced into thin rounds (thicker slices if using brown rice)
How to Make Carrot-Cumin Pilaf
- Gently warm the vegetable broth, bay leaves and oregano sprigs in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the minced shallots, cooking until softened and lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next add the Texmati rice and cumin seeds; cook until the rice is opaque and the cumin seeds are fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot rounds and salt.
- Pour the warmed broth into the rice mixture. Stir, bring to a BOIL, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. If using brown Texmati rice, you will have to cook the rice for about 45-50 minutes. If using standard Texmati or basmati, cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from burner and set aside, covered for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired, fluff with fork and serve.