Basmati Rice Salad with Mandarin Oranges
The reicpe in the cookbook sounds good, but none of this, or none that, too little....We've all been there and as they say: "Necessity is the mother of invention".
This is good served on a few leaves of butter or bibb lettuce.
1 1/2 cbasmati rice, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 Tbspbutter
1 can(s)(15 oz) mandarin orange slices with juice
1/2 ccurrants or raisins
2 Tbspwhite wine vinegar
1/2 cslivered almonds, toasted
How to Make Basmati Rice Salad with Mandarin Oranges
- Place water, salt and butter in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add Basmati rice. Return to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Then remove from heat and let stand about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Drain mandarin orange, reserving the juice.
(You need about 3/4 cup of liquid. If you don't have enough, add a little orange juice, water or white wine to make up the difference)
- In a small saucepan, heat juice just to boiling.
Add currants or raisins and set aside to cool. When cooled, mix in vinegar and oil.
- In a large bowl, toss together rice, currants, juice, oil and vinegar.
- Just before serving, add mandarin orange slices and slivered almonds. Best served at room temp.