- 2 Tbsp
- butter or coconut oil
- 2-3 tsp
- curry powder, to taste
- 2 medium
- firm bananas, peeled and sliced (or plantains if you prefer)
- 1/4 c
- yellow onion, finely minced
- 1/4 c
- almonds, sliced or slivered
- 3 c
- hot cooked long grain white rice (i think basmati or a mix of long grain white and basmati would be really tasty!)
- salt, to taste
- scallions, sliced
- 1/4 clove
- dried flaked or grated coconut, toasted
- ground allspice (freshly ground if possible)
How to Make Bahamian Rice
- 1Melt butter or coconut oil in a large skillet. Stir in the curry powder.
- 2Add the sliced bananas and saute in the curry powder until golden brown. Remove bananas from the skillet and keep warm.
- 3Add the minced onion and almonds to pan and cook on MEDIUM heat until the onion is translucent.
- 4Stir in the cooked rice; season with salt to taste. Heat through.
- 5Transfer the rice mixture to a serving bowl or platter. Arrange the browned banana slices on top. Garnish with scallions, toasted coconut and a pinch of ground allspice. Serve immediately.