Welsh Onion Cake
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
1/2 cunsalted butter, melted and warm
1 lbonion, either sliced or finely chopped
2 lbpotatoes, thinly sliced (desiree or maris piper recommended)
2 tspfresh thyme, optional
·salt and pepper
4 ozcaerphilly cheese, optional
How to Make Welsh Onion Cake
- Heat about 1/4 of the butter in a large pan, set over medium heat.
- Sweat the onions with a little salt and the rosemary sprig. Slowly cook on a gentle heat with a lid on for about 20 minutes. Remove rosemary and set aside.
- Grease an oven proof dish and on the bottom of the dish, place a thick layer of potatoes, well seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of onions.
- Dot each layer with butter and thyme (if using), and repeat this again, or until the dish is full, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- The top layer should also be dotted with butter, using more than given above, if necessary. Cover with a lid or foil and bake in a moderate oven (350F.) for about one and a half hours, removing the lid for the last half hour.
The variety of potato makes it difficult to give a precise cooking time: very floury ones can cook in 1 hour where as waxy ones will take longer.
If using the cheese, sprinkle a little bit on each layer.