Ultimate Creamy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
- 6 c
- sliced potatoes (yukon gold or russet)
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 c
- milk (i prefer whole for these dishes)
- 1 tsp
- mustard (any kind)
- 1/2 lb
- ham, cut in cubes
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, salt, & pepper
- 8 oz
- white sharp cheddar, shredded (optional)
- paprika (i always use hungarian)
- 1 can(s)
- cream oc hicken soup (optional)
How to Make Ultimate Creamy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Wash potatoes but don't slice them until ready to bake.
- 2Melt butter & get that nice & bubbly & golden. Then, add flour to make a roux. Once nice & bubbly, slowly add milk. Add about a tablespoon of salt. (Note: I like to add some peppercorns to this, but you can just add some ground black pepper instead). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 20 minutes. Add the mustard (you may use ground, if you prefer). Whisk (or stir) well. This will be your "sauce" for the potatoes. If you desire, add a can of cream soup now.
- 3While cooking milk mix, saute ham cubes & onion diced in about 1 tablespoon of butter. Drain well.
- 4Slice potatoes & lay in casserole or baking pan. Mix in ham & onions, then pour your sauce over top.
- 5Stir to mix well. Bake for one hour with lid on; 30 mins with lid off. If adding cheese, I add the last 15 minutes on top to melt. Sprinkle w/ paprika & let sit about 10 mins before digging in. YUMMY!