Traditional Battered Fish with Chunky Chips
- 4 portions fresh cod (be sure the fillets are boneless & skinless)
- 100ml soda or sparkling water
- 240ml lager
- 75g corn flour (cornstarch)
- 200g plain flour + dusting
- 1 tsp salt and pepper mixed
- 4 wedges of lemon
- 4 – 6 large potatoes
How to Make Traditional Battered Fish with Chunky Chips
- 1To make the beer batter, sift the flour and cornflour into a bowl, and some seasoning. Make a well in the centre and add the lager and water, then gradually whisk into the flour mixture until you have achieved a smooth batter. The batter should be transferred to a refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer if possible before use.
- 2Dust the fish portions in a light coating of flour and then dredge in the batter, shaking off any excess. Deep-fry for about 5 minutes in a preheat deep fryer or until cooked through and golden brown. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your fryer. If you are cooking larger pieces of fish start cooking it in the fryer and then transfer to the oven to finish cooking.
- 3Wash and peel the potatoes.
Cut the potatoes into thick cut chips and store in water until required.
Deep fry in hot oil 180°C until fully cooked.
Serve the fish and chips in little newspaper cones , and a wedge of lemon(or malt vinegar for me please) and enjoy.