The Real Deal Fish & Chips
- 3/4 c
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can(s)
- 1 1/2 lb
- white fish of your choice
- 3/4 c
- russet potatoes cut into sticks
FOR THE FISH
FOR THE CHIPS
How to Make The Real Deal Fish & Chips
- 1For the batter: Add everything through the salt and pepper and whisk together. Add beer until the batter is fairly thin.
- 2Prepare the oil (either in a deep fryer or cast iron pan. Heat to about 375.
- 3Dry fish as thoroughly as you can and cut into pieces that will fit easily in the fryer. Dust with the 3/4 cup of flour and place on a rack until all are done.
- 4Using a fork or a skewer, take each piece and dip in the batter and allow to drip off and then back into the flour. Set again on the rack. Do this for all the fish.
- 5Fry, not over crowding until done and golden brown. Place on a rack with paper towel beneath to catch any oil drips. Place in oven at low (200) to keep warm.
- 6For the French fries: Method 1: Place in microwave safe dish with 1/4 c oil and "cook" until not done but flexible. Times vary according to your microwave. Dry on paper towels.
- 7Place frieds in managable quantities until golden brown (6-8 min) at 325-350. Drain on paper toweling. Then return to the oil for three minutes and then put on a rack with toweling beneath to catch the drips. (fries are twice fried)
- 8Method 2: Place chips in plastic bag with 3 TBSP (or so) oil and shake until all are covered. Place not touching on parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake in a 425 oven for 12 minutes. Turn on the broiler and cook for about 10 more minutes, until they are browning. Salt and place on the table!