TATER AND ONION PIE
- pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin
- medium size onion, peeled and cut in half, and sliced very thin
- salt and pepper to taste (light on the pepper)
- teaspoons of minced garlic
- cup of grated cheese, divided
- cup of sour cream, whipping cream, or milk (i use a combination of all three!)
- cup parmesan grated fresh
- pam spray
How to Make TATER AND ONION PIE
- 1Cook's Tip: A word about cheese. I use jack cheese, fontina, gruyere cheese, cheddar, but I like fontina and jack cheese the best. For the milk mixture, I use a combination of sour cream, heavy cream and 2% milk, which is what I had on hand. You can use all milk, or all cream, or mix it up. Use what you like. Experiment to your hearts content. This is a fun recipe for that!
- 2Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 10 inch glass pie dish with Pam.
- 3Scatter 2 teaspoons of garlic on bottom of Pam sprayed pie dish. Put half of the sliced potatoes on top of the garlic, overlapping the slices. Add half of the onion slices. Add salt and pepper (go easy on the pepper) Sprinkle 1/3 cup of cheese (your choice) over the onions evenly. Repeat the layer of garlic, potatoes, onions, and salt, pepper. Add the milk mixture evenly over the top, and then add the remaining 2/3 cup of cheese of choice, plus, the 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
- 4Cover the pie with foil and bake 30 minutes, uncover and bake 30 minutes more. You may want to do a low broil to brown the top. Cut into wedges to serve. Enjoy!
- 5Cook's Note: I also have a Tater and Onion Pie with ham that is another variation of this recipe and it is posted.