Swiss Potato Gratin
Daily Inspiration S
Originally from Allrecipes
- 2 lb
- red-skinned boiling potatoes
- 1 c
- ricotta cheese
- 3/4 c
- parsley, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- nutmeg to taste
- 1 c
- heavy cream (approximately)
- butter for greasing baking dish
- 1/4 lb
- gruyere cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
How to Make Swiss Potato Gratin
- 1Wash potatoes well. Slice potatoes thin and drop them into a pot of cold, salted water. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes for 1 minute, drain, and rinse with cold water. Drain again and pat dry.
- 2Combine ricotta and parsley and season generously with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 3Beat the egg briefly and add enough heavy cream to make 1 cup of liquid. Season with salt and pepper and nutmeg.
- 4Lightly butter a shallow, oval gratin dish measuring 9 x 12 inches. Arrange a layer of slightly overlapping potato slices in the dish. Dot with about one third of the ricotta mixture; sprinkle with one-third of the cheese. Repeat, using all of the ingredients and ending with a potato layer.
- 5Gently pour the egg and cream mixture into the dish, lifting potato slices with a fork if necessary to allow the cream to spread evenly among them.
- 6Bake on the center rack of a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and the cheese is browned and bubbling. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.