Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 lb
- sweet potatoes, cut in half with skins left on
- 1/2 c
- light brown sugar, packed
- 1 bag(s)
- small marshmallows
- 2 c
- chopped pecans
- 1 c
- raisins (optional)
- 1 c
- unsalted butter, melted
- 2 c
- heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- canola oil, as needed
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1Preheat the oven to 425F.
- 2wash and cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Drizzle with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- 3bake in oven until fork tender, about 40 minutes. Once softened, remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
- 4In a large sauté pan, combine the brown sugar and butter, heat on medium low heat and stir until butter dissolves and mixture combines. Stir occasionally to prevent sugar from lumping.
- 5Remove from heat and set aside. Use a large spoon to remove the pulp from the potato quarters and discard the skins.
- 6Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. While using a hand masher to mash the potatoes slowly add the cream and melted butter to the potatoes.Mash until fully combined. Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the potatoes until almost smooth.
- 7Add the brown sugar mixture, salt and pepper and whisk on medium speed until fully combined. Add the pecans and raisins, if using. Whisk additional time to combine mixture.
- 8Place smooth potato mixture into a 9x13 glass baking dish. Top the mixture with small marshmallows. Brush the marshmallows with melted butter. Bake in oven until mixture is heated through and the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- 9Remove from oven and let stand to cool for 10 minutes. Serve hot.