Sweet Potato Casserole
★★★★★ 1 vote5
3 lbsweet potatoes, cut in half with skins left on
1/2 clight brown sugar, packed
1 bag(s)small marshmallows
2 cchopped pecans
1 craisins (optional)
1 cunsalted butter, melted
2 cheavy cream
·salt, to taste
·white pepper, to taste
·canola oil, as needed
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- wash and cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Drizzle with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- bake in oven until fork tender, about 40 minutes. Once softened, remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, combine the brown sugar and butter, heat on medium low heat and stir until butter dissolves and mixture combines. Stir occasionally to prevent sugar from lumping.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Use a large spoon to remove the pulp from the potato quarters and discard the skins.
- Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. While using a hand masher to mash the potatoes slowly add the cream and melted butter to the potatoes.Mash until fully combined. Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the potatoes until almost smooth.
- Add the brown sugar mixture, salt and pepper and whisk on medium speed until fully combined. Add the pecans and raisins, if using. Whisk additional time to combine mixture.
- Place smooth potato mixture into a 9x13 glass baking dish. Top the mixture with small marshmallows. Brush the marshmallows with melted butter. Bake in oven until mixture is heated through and the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand to cool for 10 minutes. Serve hot.