Southern Potato Salad
- 3-5 lb
- medium size russet potaoes
- large eggs
- 1/2 c
- green onions chopped
- 1/2 jar(s)
- sweet relish
- 3 Tbsp
- kraft real mayonaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- celery powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp
- honey mustard (optional)
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- bacon bits
How to Make Southern Potato Salad
- 1peel and cut into equal cubes 5lbs of potatoes( depending on size of potatoes 3lbs if larger size and more if smaller size.) wash and add potatoes to a large pot with enough water to cover the potatoes
add a dash of salt.
turn heat to med high
cook until potatoes are fork tender ( you can cut them with fork easily.)
remove potatoes from pot and drain water.( Note* I save my potato water and use it for thickening soups . just place it in a container and refrigerate or freeze for later.)place in a large bowl add salt and pepper to taste. add in the mustard,celery powder and sugar (these last three ingredients are optional it depends on how you want it to taste and you can add more or less depending on your taste.)
- 2in a large boiler add water to cover 6 large eggs.add eggs and a dash of vinegar(this prevents the eggs from cracking and makes them easier to peel once cooled.)turn heat to high.
Once water begins to boil let eggs cook for 10-12 minutes.
remove from stove rinse with cold water and leave to cool while preparing other ingredients.
- 3Peel and chop the eggs add to the bowl of potatoes.
chop the green onions and add to the potatoes.
add the relish and gently stir in the mayonnaise- I add the mayonnaise slowly once you have the potatoes coated add more or less mayonnaise to get the consistency you like I do not like it to be heavy so I add it and then taste as I go along until it taste the way I want it to.
- 4Sprinkle the top with a little paprika and bacon bits for color and enjoy!