Smoky Chorizo and Red Pepper "Tapas" Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 lb
- petite red potatoes, scrubbed, patted dry, and quartered
- 1 Tbsp
- kosher salt, plus more to taste, divided
- 6 Tbsp
- olive oil, divided
- 4 oz
- chorizo sausage, casings removed, chopped
- 2/3 c
- diced sweet onions
- garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- coarsely chopped oregano
- 1/4 c
- spicy brown mustard
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- sherry vinegar
- 3/4 tsp
- smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2/3 c
- diced fire-roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- 1/4 c
- chopped flat-leaf parsley
- eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, cut into half-moon slices
- 2 tsp
- non-pareil capers (small size capers)
- parsley sprigs, for garnish, if desired
How to Make Smoky Chorizo and Red Pepper "Tapas" Potato Salad
- 1In a large pot, add potatoes and 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Cover potatoes with water by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil, over medium high heat. Reduce to simmer; cover. Cook, about 22-25 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl; let potatoes cool slightly.
- 2Meanwhile, over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add chorizo; cook chorizo about 8-10 minutes, or until slightly crisped. Transfer to a paper-lined plate. Set aside. Drain drippings in skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. In same skillet, add 4 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and onions. Cook, stirring, 3-4 minutes or until onions are tender. Add oregano; cook 1 additional minute. Remove from heat. Stir in mustard, honey, vinegar, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes until well combined. Set mustard-onion dressing aside.
- 3While potatoes are still warm, add crumbled chorizo, red peppers, parsley, eggs, and mustard-onion dressing. Season with kosher salt to taste. Gently stir to mix ingredients.
- 4In a small skillet, over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add capers; cook 1-2 minutes, or until they begin to pop and crisp slightly.
- 5To serve, spoon potato salad in a large serving bowl; sprinkle with crisped capers. If desired, garnish with parsley sprigs. Serve room temperature.